What do Computer Systems Engineers/Architects do?
Design and develop solutions to complex applications problems, system administration issues, or network concerns. Perform systems management and integration functions.
- Communicate with staff or clients to understand specific system requirements.
- Provide advice on project costs, design concepts, or design changes.
- Document design specifications, installation instructions, and other system-related information.
- Verify stability, interoperability, portability, security, or scalability of system architecture.
- Collaborate with engineers or software developers to select appropriate design solutions or ensure the compatibility of system components.
- Evaluate current or emerging technologies to consider factors such as cost, portability, compatibility, or usability.
- Provide technical guidance or support for the development or troubleshooting of systems.
- Identify system data, hardware, or software components required to meet user needs.
- Provide guidelines for implementing secure systems to customers or installation teams.
- Monitor system operation to detect potential problems.
- Direct the analysis, development, and operation of complete computer systems.
- Investigate system component suitability for specified purposes and make recommendations regarding component use.
- Perform ongoing hardware and software maintenance operations, including installing or upgrading hardware or software.
- Configure servers to meet functional specifications.
- Develop or approve project plans, schedules, or budgets.
- Define and analyze objectives, scope, issues, or organizational impact of information systems.
- Develop system engineering, software engineering, system integration, or distributed system architectures.
- Design and conduct hardware or software tests.
- Establish functional or system standards to ensure operational requirements, quality requirements, and design constraints are addressed.
- Evaluate existing systems to determine effectiveness and suggest changes to meet organizational requirements.
- Research, test, or verify proper functioning of software patches and fixes.
- Communicate project information through presentations, technical reports or white papers.
- Complete models and simulations, using manual or automated tools, to analyze or predict system performance under different operating conditions.
- Direct the installation of operating systems, network or application software, or computer or network hardware.
- Train system users in system operation or maintenance.
- Perform security analyses of developed or packaged software components.
- Develop application-specific software.
- Develop efficient and effective system controllers.
Related Jobs (Computer Systems Engineers/Architects)